The Glen family started shipowning in 1894 when they formed Glasgow Shipowners Co Ltd and traded mainly with coal to Sweden, returning with timber. Shortly afterwards they formed Scottish Navigation Co which operated deep sea tramps and the Scandinavian Shipping Co. but ships were frequently transferred between the companies. Three ships were lost during the Great War and in WWII the deep sea fleet was wiped out and six Scandinavian traders were also lost. Eleven standard type ships were managed for MOWT during and shortly after the war but no ships were owned until the 1950s when the company took over management of the Dornoch Shipping Co and Nile SS Co from Lambert Bros. In 1961 the Scandinavian traders were taken over by F. T. Everard, Greenhithe and the services were terminated in 1967.
A partnership was formed in 1882 in Glasgow between Thomas Clark and William Service. In 1887 the company expanded when the fleet of McLaren, Crum & Co was purchased and in the 1890s five new steamships were delivered. In 1897 they sold their last sailing ship and by 1915 the company only owned three tramps and these had been sold by 1917. Robert and Maurice Clark set up the Crossburn SS Co in 1916 in partnership with Robert McGregor and continued trading under the same name of Clark & Service and several new tramps were ordered. During the war, several fruit carriers building for the United Fruit Co, New York were taken over by the British Government and managed by Clark & Service. After the war, United Fruit continued to use British crews and management continued until 1930. Ardan SS Co was re-activated in 1929 and continued until 1940 when both its ships had been lost and the company was wound up.
|<< 1 2 of 2 >||