The company was formed in 1930 and their first ship purchased in 1932. However, due to the freight depression this ship was laid up in the River Fal for the next two years and was then sold. The company remained dormant until 1938 when it was revived as the London branch of the French company Louis Dreyfus. Two ships were lost to enemy action during the second world war, but the company expanded rapidly after 1945 with the purchase of several tramp ships. In 1958 Buries Markes entered the bulk ore carrying trade and in 1969 joined with Mowinckel and K. G. Jebsen of Norway to form the Gearbulk consortium. The same year, the company also took delivery of its first coastal oil tankers and from 1974 entered the chemical tanker trade. Due to a dramatic slump in shipping Louis Dreyfus decided that they must reduce their exposure in shipping and of course this fell heavily on Buries Markes in London. In 1990 the Chemical Tankers were sold to Stolt Neilsen, the Gearbulk ships were sold to K.G.Jebson, one of the Norwegian partners in the main Gearbulk Consortium and the remaining bulk carriers were transferred to the Paris Management.
The company was founded in Newcastle in 1904 and only owned one ship which was mostly involved in the coal trade out of Newcastle and South Wales until 1915 when she was sunk. Two further ships were acquired in 1918 but one was quickly sold and the other lost in 1922. The fleet expanded in the 1920s and 1930s and by the outbreak of the Second World War the company operated nine vessels. Two ships were lost to enemy action and in 1945 their tanker was sold to Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co. In 1953 a new tanker was delivered and further ships were purchased between 1961 and 1963. The Hopemount Shipping Co and its fleet were taken over in 1966 by Common Bros, Newcastle.
The Burnett Steamship Company was Formed in 1889 with the purchase of a small steamer, the company rapidly expanded and concentrated initially on the coal trade to London and the near continent. By 1908 their ships increased in size and routes expanded to cover the Baltic and Mediterranean. Seven ships were lost to enemy action during the Great War and by 1918 the fleet consisted of five colliers plus three managed vessels.
In 1929 Burnetts entered the world wide tramping business with the delivery of 4,000 ton ships but the shipping slump caused these ships to be quickly sold. Four ships were lost in World War 2.
In the 1960s the company was employed in the St Lawrence and Great Lakes trade. An offer for the company from Federal Commerce & Navigation Ltd of Canada was accepted in 1969 and the Newcastle company became a subsidiary of the FEDNAV group engaged in UK to Canada trading. In 1974 Burnett purchased Chapman & Willan Ltd, Newcastle and their fleet of bulk carriers. FEDNAV sold the last Burnett ship in 1980 which ended the Burnett involvement in shipowning.
The company was formed in 1893 with two ships which were not only used for tramping work, but also operated mainly to Cuba and the Caribbean. In 1911 a new company Cayo Line was formed to own the Cayo Romano (2) and by 1914 six ships were owned. In 1916 the Cuban and Cayo companies sold all their ships and went into liquidation. E. Bigland & Co were appointed to manage two vessels for The Shipping Controller in 1918 but withdrew from shipowning in 1920.
Brightman formed a partnership with Turner in 1878 in London. By 1900 the company owned 15 tramps of which about half were fitted with refrigerated cargo space and chartered to Houlder Bros for the River Plate meat trade. The remainder were mostly used on Mediterranean and Black Sea routes. Ten of the fleet were lost during the Great War and by 1919 the company only owned four vessels. Only two ships remained by 1939 and one was lost to marine hazard and the other to enemy action. Two standard tramps were managed for the MOWT but the company ceased trading after the war.
Founded in Newcastle in 1864 by the brothers John and James Hall. James was a forward looking shipowner and was the first to set up a Merchant Navy training establishment with the ship Wellesley moored at North Shields. He was also instrumental in instigating load lines in ships. By 1867 the brothers owned 16 sailing ships and 3 steamers. The last sailing ship was sold in 1886 and the company then traded worldwide with steamships. Six ships were lost to enemy action during the Great War and four in WWII. In 1968 the company entered short sea trading with the delivery of 1,400 ton coasters but in 1979 the company went into voluntary liquidation and the short sea traders were sold off.
Greenshields, Cowie & Co, Formed in 1877 by the merger of C. G. Cowie, Son & Co who owned a fleet of sailing ships and Greenshields & Co, Liverpool. Mostly engaged in the Indian cotton trade to the U.K. but diversified to the Far East, Australia and New Zealand trades later in the 19th century. After the end of the American Civil War, the company returned to the cotton trade from the U.S.A. In 1881 the company took delivery of their first steamship and their last sailing ship was sold in 1897. In 1914 the company owned four ships which were chartered to Alfred Holt & Co and in 1917 the fleet was sold to Alfred Holt. Today the company still survives as shipping and forwarding agents.
Hadley Shipping Co, London, Founded in 1926 with the purchase of a tanker from Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co, which was chartered back to the seller. More tankers were purchased which were also mainly chartered out. In 1934 the company entered the coastal tanker trade and in 1935 purchased a refrigerated banana carrier which was chartered to Jamaica Banana Producers Ltd. Two ships were lost during the second world war and in 1947 a Liberty ship was purchased and chartered to Houlder Bros. More new tankers were purchased in the 1950s for chartering and in 1956 the company withdrew from the coastal tanker trade. In 1967 Hadleys re-entered the dry cargo business with the purchase of bulk cargo carriers and also concentrated on short sea traders. The company is one of the few family owned tramp shipping companies still in operation.
The company was originally founded in Whitby in 1817 and owned a large fleet of sailing ships. Their first steamship was built in 1871 and traded with coal to the Black Sea, returning with grain. Trade later expanded to cover coal from the Tyne, Wear and Tees to Scandinavia, Spain, Portugal and the Black Sea and homewards with timber, cork, wine and grain. The last sailing ship was scrapped in 1880 and at the time, the fleet consisted of 23 tramps. By 1902 the River Plate had been added to the routes, but by 1914 the fleet consisted of only six ships, of which three were lost to enemy action. The rest of the fleet had been sold by 1918 and the company liquidated in 1920.
Rankin and Gilmour formed a partnership in Liverpool in 1876 and traded with sailing ships to North America. In 1880 the company took delivery of their first steam tramp and in 1890 formed the British & Foreign Steamship Co, later renamed the Saint Line. By 1914 the company owned twenty ships and lost only three to enemy action, but a large proportion of the fleet was sold during the war years. In 1937 the company was sold to Mitchell Cotts & Co and was transferred to London. In WW2 the fleet was almost completely wiped out and only one ship survived the war. Several wartime standard ships were purchased after the war but these were sold off, the last in 1962 when the company withdrew from shipowning.
|<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 of 6 >||